Sturtevant Simpactor® Pin Mill
Granulated Sugar: Recently Sturtevant attended and presented a paper at the 06 ATAM (Asociacion de Tecnicos Azucareros de Mexico) in Vera Cruz, Mexico. The reason was to discuss the new opportunities available to Mexican refineries to add value to granulated sugar, (both for Mexico domestic and exported sugar), and to discuss ways to improve efficiencies and capacities of shipped granulated sugar. Sturtevant and Ventura representatives also visited several refineries in the Vera Cruz vicinity and met with other major plant constituents at the show. The discussion revolved around increasing granular shipment using a Sturtevant Simpactor to re-mill the overs from the screening process. Based on a few simple calculations it could be seen that extra shipments could be possible and a pay back on the Sturtevant equipment be met within months! Additional 30 to 40 mesh granular could be shipped with no additional refinery work. In addition, considering that the new chapter of NAFTA in 2008 will allow higher quantities of High Fructosa Syrup Content to and from Mexico, the Mexican sugar industry must be ready for producing more types of sugar. This can be met with the Sturtevant Simpactor and Powderizer air classifier units.
Sturtevant also visited with a sugar processing plant in Chile earlier in the year with an existing customer who has a Sturtevant NSP-2.5 Powderizer installed. A case study was published in the “Reportero Industrial” with their positive experience relating to their processing of granulated sugar with better quality, lower maintenance and steady outputs.
How it works: The Sturtevant Simpactor® is a centrifugal, pin-type impact mill. The Simpactor can reduce low-to-medium-density materials to uniform fine particle sizes of 50-200 mesh or take apart feed material components when used at low RPM. Feed is dropped onto the spinning rotor plate where centrifugal force drives it through a set of intermeshing pins and against a corrugated impact ring. This action reduces the size of friable particles via impact, or gently separates the material into fractional parts if used at low RPM.
||• The Simpactor® can be supplied in either carbon steel construction or various stainless steel designs.
• Tungsten carbide pins and ceramic impact liners are available for wear protection.
• Zero bug trap and quick change sanitary units are also available.
• Scheduled bearing lubrication can be done from external fittings. Larger models are equipped with a re-circulating temperature controlled oil tank.
• To minimize nuisance dust, and enhance product throughput the discharge cone contains a ventilation tube for connection to a nuisance dust collector.
• There are no screens to blind in the Sturtevant pin mills.
• Pneumatic or gravity feed is possible via a rotary air lock valve or volumetric feed screw.
||• Due to the vertical shaft design, the product falls through by gravity eliminating material hanging up inside the mill.
• The range of the product particle size is achieved by simply adjusting the rotor speed.
• The rotor acts like a fan pulling in cool air to prevent excessive heat build up.
• Bearings are mounted in a “cartridge” for easy replacement reducing downtime and maintenance costs.